Sunday, May 30, 2004

I met Howard Dean Today!

Cross-posted on Mormons for America.

he·ro

1. In mythology and legend, a man, often of divine ancestry, who is endowed with great courage and strength, celebrated for his bold exploits, and favored by the gods.

2. A person noted for feats of courage or nobility of purpose, especially one who has risked or sacrificed his or her life.

3. A person noted for special achievement in a particular field.


I don't throw around the word hero very often. In fact, my list of heroes is very short. Captain Moroni, Joseph Smith, Mr. Rodgers, and Howard Dean. Only one of these men is living. Today, I met him.

It was at a campaign fundraiser for his cousin, Peter Corroon, who is running for Mayor of Salt Lake County. After both he and Peter spoke, I snuck around the back part of the coffee shop, and introduced myself, including the fact that I had organized Mormons for Dean. He thanked me for my efforts.

I then gave him two Mormon Tabernacle Choir CDs. He was surprised and happy to have them.

Some mental notes from Dean's speech:

1) "Democracy is not a spectator sport." We need to actively engage in politics, not just show up in November.

2) The government must start acting like it is the citizen's money, not the government's. We must elect those who recognize this.

3) Dean supports Instant Runoff Voting, which is a major platform point of Mormons for America.

That's all I can think of for now. I'm going to write two entries on Memorial Day to be posted tomorrow, and then head back out of town.

-Bob

No comments: