Monday, July 4, 2005

Patriotism

Happy 4th of July!

Today, I will be talking about patriotism. First, let's define the word. As always, from dictionary.com

pa·tri·ot·ism n. Love of and devotion to one's country.

July 4th, the day we celebrate our declaration of independance. The day we gave a big "f-you" to our government. We wanted a better way. However, this was unpatriotic, based on the above definition. So, I'll change it a little, to say "Love of one's homeland."

Patriotism is not about waving the flag, dressing in red, white, and blue, and shooting off fireworks. It's about doing things because, well, I love this country, my homeland.

That is why I became a Democrat. Because, contrary to what Sean Hannity would have you believe, Democrats give a crap about what happens to this country. Contrary to the statements of Karl Rove, I cried on September 11. I was madder than Hell, and I wasn't going to take it. I wanted Revenge.

I'm still waiting to get revenge.

Our lack of fighting real enemies, and making up imaginary foes to fight, has ruined our country. We have now taken longer since 9/11 than it took to defeat both Japan and Germany after Pearl Harbor. We are spending more money than we are bringing in, borrowing money from our children.

And yet, I am called unpatriotic because I fight against these things. However, I do it because I love my country. I want to see her grow, to succeed.

I'm a Patriot!

No comments: